Laser Dentistry – South Portland, ME
Comfortable, Efficient, and Precise Treatment
When you think of lasers, your mind might go straight to sci-fi movies, laser light shows, or even laser toys for animals. However, lasers actually have countless applications in modern-day medicine, including in the realm of dentistry. For example, we use a laser right here at Mind Your Mouth to help patients enjoy the most comfortable, efficient treatment possible for issues like gum disease and cold sores. Read on below to learn more about the marvels of laser dentistry in South Portland, ME.
Why Choose Mind Your Mouth for Laser Dentistry?
- Not Available at All Practices
- Comfortable and Precise Treatment
- Less Downtime after Procedures
How Does Laser Dentistry Work?
A laser is essentially a highly concentrated beam of light. There are a few different types of lasers that can be used in dentistry, but here at Mind Your Mouth, we favor a soft tissue laser. As its name implies, it is designed for use on the gums, lips, and other soft oral tissues. It can remove damaged tissue, kill viruses and bacteria, and more.
One of the best things about laser dentistry is how comfortable it is. In many cases, it reduces or eliminates the need for local anesthesia. Plus, it is completely sterile and causes almost no bleeding, which leads to a quick recovery and a low risk of complications.
What Can Be Treated with Laser Dentistry?
Lasers can be used for quite a few different purposes. At Mind Your Mouth, Dr. Parét primarily uses our soft tissue laser for:
- Periodontal therapy. The laser can remove diseased tissue and kill bacteria that accumulate in the pockets between the gums and teeth. Following a laser periodontal session, the gums should be able to firmly reattach to the teeth and regain their health. Because the laser is so precise, it minimizes the amount of tissue that must be removed.
- Cold sore treatment. The laser can immediately kill the virus that causes cold sores, resulting in quick symptom relief. If used early in the formation of a cold sore, it might even be able to prevent the sore from appearing, which can spare you from potential embarrassment. After a laser treatment, future cold sores at the same location may appear much less frequently and be milder.
Who Is a Candidate for Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry is an excellent choice for virtually all patients who need to address advanced gum disease and those who are struggling with cold sores. It might be perfect for you if:
- Traditional dental instruments, such as scalpels, make you uncomfortable.
- You want to enjoy the most efficient treatment with as little downtime as possible.
- You are interested in technology, and you want your dental team to use it to benefit you.
- You dislike the “numb mouth” feeling that is so common after procedures that do not use a laser.
Would you like to learn more about laser dentistry in South Portland? Dr. Parét and our team will be happy to answer your questions. Contact us today!